I recently bought Angela Liddon’s beautiful The Oh She Glows Cookbook and been having a lot of fun with her recipes. In particular, her Indian Lentil-Cauliflower Soup stood out as a favorite and I have adapted it for ROO.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 small shallots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of minced peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium cauliflower, chopped into bite-size florets
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium potato
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving (if desired)
- In a large soup pot, heat oil and sauté shallots over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander, and cumin. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, sweet potato, and potato. Bring back to boil, lower heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat and let soup cool down.
- Coarsely process soup through blender.
- Gently reheat soup over medium heat until it begins to boil. Add spinach, lower heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add cilantro, if desired.