I was intrigued since it had many ingredients I love: cashews, curry, lentils, and greens. I have adapted the recipe to include more coconut and added sweet potatoes, two of my favorite foods from the ROO kitchen.
It is a nutritious, flavorful, and hearty meal to kickstart your plant-powered palate in 2015!
- 1/2 cup whole cashews
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 inch minced peeled ginger
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a large soup pot, heat coconut oil and sauté onions, garlic, and ginger for 5 minutes, until onion begins to soften.
- Add curry powder, turmeric, and salt. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, sweet potato, 2 cups of coconut milk, 2 cups of water, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the lentils become soft, add the tomato paste and stir well to combine.
- Next, add the cashews, spinach, and remaining 1 cup of water. Stir to combine. Let ingredients heat through.