There are some tastes you will never forget. I can still remember my first grade self trying to trade my brother for his fried plantains. It was a no go— I had already finished my serving of plantains, a customary dessert in Dorothey’s household. Years later, I still dream of my mom’s godmother, Dorothey’s delicious fried plantains.
I have recreated Dorothey’s plantains in a healthier version that can be enjoyed as a guilt-free dessert! They are oven-baked and have a sweet taste with the coconut and cinnamon glaze.
- 2 ripe plantains
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1.5 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 400º Fahrenheit.
- Cut your plantains on the diagonal into slices about ½” thick.
- Mix the plantain slices in a bowl with coconut oil, coconut sugar, and cinnamon
- Place plantain slices on a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cook for 15 minutes then carefully flip the plantains with a pair of tongs.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes to 15 minutes
- Enjoy fresh and hot or store in the fridge for later!