One of my seventh grade teachers would often get frustrated by how my classmates and I would overuse the statement, “I love ___.” I recognize that loving something is a strong statement, but I stand by the fact that I love hummus. Since I was a young girl, my mom regularly made hummus, which I shared the recipe for in ROO’s Mystic Mountain Mama Salad.
I also love beets and lemons— I know, I know, but I really do! I decided to fuse all my loves to create ROO’s Zesty Beet Hummus. I hope you will like it, maybe even love it too! My favorite way to enjoy ROO’s Zesty Beet Hummus is on zucchini and carrot slices. How will YOU express your Zesty Beet Hummus love and what will you pair it with?
- 1 beet
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Roast your beet:
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Remove the stem/root from the beet and scrub clean
- Wrap beet tightly in foil and roast for about one hour, until the beet is tender.
- Place the beet in a bowl to cool off in the fridge
- Once beet is cooled, peel and quarter it
- Place beet in food processor and blend until only small bits remain
- Add remaining ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth and creamy
- Add additional water if it is too thick or chunky
- Enjoy with veggies! * Will keep in the fridge for up to a week.