“If you’re seeing your body as this tool by which you have to fit into this tiny keyhole— it’s a set up for disordered eating. It’s a set up for comparison. It’s a set up for failure because there is this myth that short term success in this moment is going to be sustainable and there is no chance.”
– Melody Moore
In this episode, Lauren Fleshman and Dr. Melody Moore explore how to change the culture of body image and eating disorders in running. Lauren has 21 years of experience in competitive racing from high school to professional and a degree in Human Biology with a focus on Women’s Health and Athletic Performance. Dr. Moore is a clinical psychologist specializing in eating disorder prevention and recovery and the founder of Embody Love Moment. Lauren and Melody cover the following topics:
- Why runners are at risk for eating disorders
- How to use team captains and coaches as positive agents for change
- Debunking the myth of perfection
- How we can change the language we use to discuss body image
- Weight and performance
- The female athlete triad
- Tools for eating disorder prevention and recovery (see tools below)
Lauren and Melody’s Suggested Tools for Eating Disorder Prevention and Recovery:
- Tool 1: Name the behavior
- Tool 2: Change the language we use to address and acknowledge each other
- Tool 3: For coaches and teammates, reach out for help from various resources, such as NEDA
- Tool 4: Call people UP to their recovery, not out
- Tool 5: Create a strategy arrow (1. where we are now: left, 2. where we want to be: right, 3. what can we do to get there: middle)
Lauren and Melody created this Listening Survey as a way to seek to understand the experiences and needs of the running community on the issues of body image and eating disorders, especially as it relates to team culture. Lauren and Melody are interested in the perspective of current or former runners of all backgrounds, coaches, medical professionals, parents, and family/friends of runners who are close to this issue.
The survey will take 7-10 minutes to complete and will close on August 31st, 2016 12pm PST. The information you share on this survey is anonymous and will not be publicly linked to your identity. Lauren and Melody will use the data to create a general report and recommendations for change.
Support ROO on Patreon: Patreon is a platform where you can donate to the podcast so that I can continue to offer the highest quality ROO podcasts for free. For as little as $2, you can get insider access into the podcast, behind the scenes clips from recording sessions, opportunities to be coached by me, and get a personal shout out on the podcast. Any amount of support helps!
Lauren & Melody’s Links:
- Melody on ROO Podcast #190
- Lauren’s ROO Episodes: ROO #208, #204, #195, #187, #179, #171, & #149
- Melody’s Website
- Lauren’s Ask Lauren Fleshman Website
- Embody Love Movement’s Website
How to Listen to ROO?