“To create an atmosphere for myself, to keep myself interested on stage, and so I do that. I just make it feel sexy or special, and I engage with the energy from the audience, and I find that, singing songs people want to hear is a great feeling.”
In this episode, China Forbes, singer for Pink Martini and songwriter, discusses music, mental illness, and saying yes. She opens the podcast with an acoustic ukulele version of “The Northern Line,” the theme song for the movie “Infinitely Polar Bear,” a film about her childhood. China explains her musical background, from her love of Donna Summer in her youth to performing in Evita during her freshman year at Harvard. She recounts the story of how she began singing with Pink Martini. China reflects on her journey with mental illness and its impact on her motherhood and music. She discusses her return to singing after vocal surgery. China shares about her intention of saying yes as she welcomes exciting projects and performances in 2016. Lastly, China closes the podcast with an acoustic guitar version of her song, “Hey Eugene,” from her album “78.”
- China’s Website
- China’s Facebook
- China’s Instagram: @chinaforbes
- China’s Twitter: @chinaforbes
- Pink Martini’s Website
* Podcast Sponsored by Bentforkz: Ethan Wright-Magoon designs creative websites with a user-first design aesthetic and has worked with large educational institutions, major companies in health care, and small runner yogi podcast hosts like myself (he designed this site!). Ethan uses a progressive method of collaboration called Appreciate Inquiry to get at the heart of one’s core values and how your website can embody this. Ethan’s creativity, passion for what he does, and extensive knowledge of the technical and graphic sides of design will take your website to the next level! If you want to get in touch with Ethan, visit bentforkz.com. Elevate your business, brand, and blog with Ethan’s help!
* Jaybird X2 Giveaway – Enter to win these wireless, bluetooth, sweat-proof, and 8-hour battery life powered headphones:
- Subscribe to The Running On Om podcast on iTunes
- Leave a written review of the podcast on iTunes
- Email a screenshot of your review to email@example.com. Giveaway ends on January 31st, 2016. Winners will be randomly chosen and announced by February 2, 2016. If you have already written a review, you are still eligible to enter the giveaway by submitting a screenshot of your past review.
How to Listen to ROO?