“The big struggle it seems to me in life is to lower your expectations on yourself, but somehow continue to try to do the things that make you feel ok about yourself. Because not everybody is going to win. You are going to do what you can do. And the big, big, big question is how do you keep doing that and esteeming what you have and what you do, without falling into utter despair and self loathing.”
In this episode, Steve Almond, author and cohost of the Dear Sugar Radio, explores the power of radical empathy in his relationship to his three young children. Steve discusses balancing fatherhood with his writing. He recounts his journey as a writer from working as a newspaper reporter after college to the inspiration behind Candyfreak, his New York Times bestselling book. Steve provides his perspective on the role of radical empathy in America’s complex relationship with football, which he documented in his recent book, Against Football. Lastly, Steve reveals his experience as the cohost of the Dear Sugar Radio with the acclaimed author Cheryl Strayed.
- Steve’s Website
- Buy Against Football on Amazon
- Dear Sugar Radio Podcast
- Steve’s Twitter: @stevealmondjoy
- Steve’s Facebook
* HOKA ONE ONE Shoe Giveaway – Enter to win a free pair of HOKA shoes:
- Subscribe to The Running On Om podcast on iTunes
- Leave a written review of the podcast on iTunes
- Tweet or email a screenshot of your review to @runningonom or email@example.com. Entries accepted until 11:59pm EST September 30, 2015. Winner will be randomly chosen and announced by October 2, 2015. If you have already written a review, you are still eligible to enter the giveaway by submitting a screenshot of your past review.