“Running is so much of a bigger sport now than it was when I started in the 60s. It was nothing then. It’s huge now, but it is still a one-on-one sport. It’s still each person passing the torch. It’s still each of us inflaming the next person with our own personal example.”
In this episode, Amby Burfoot, 1968 Boston Marathon Winner and Runner’s World Magazine editor-at-large, tells the story of how every mile is a gift. Amby reflects on the importance of running mentorship from his time serving in the Peace Core as a distance running coach in El Salvador to the impact that John J. Kelley, accomplished marathoner and his high school coach, had on his life. He discusses his relationship to running in college marked by passion, obsession, and hard work. Amby recounts his 1968 win of the Boston Marathon as a college senior and how he still loves running the Boston Marathon now. He provides his perspective on the impact of exercise science on running and his personal training philosophy. Amby reflects on his work as the editor-at-large for Runner’s World Magazine and previews his upcoming book on female pioneers in distance running.
* Podcast sponsored by Dan Walters Running, a personal distance running coach who works online and in person with runners of all levels. With a background as an engineer and collegiate runner, Dan’s training is scientific and personalized to YOUR needs. If you love running, are willing to work hard, and want to improve your fitness at any level, contact Dan today. Email Dan at firstname.lastname@example.org and visit Dan Walters Running on Facebook
* HOKA ONE ONE Shoe Giveaway – Enter to win a free pair of HOKA shoes:
- Subscribe to The Running On Om podcast on iTunes
- Leave a written review of the podcast on iTunes
- Tweet or email a screenshot of your review to @runningonom or email@example.com. Entries accepted until 11:59pm EST September 30, 2015. Winner will be randomly chosen and announced by October 2, 2015. If you have already written a review, you are still eligible to enter the giveaway by submitting a screenshot of your past review.