“I think it is really important to allow yourself that developmental age in whatever sport or activity you pick up, no matter what age you pick it up. It is valuable to let yourself chip away at goals in a more organic way and fall in love, step by step, race by race with the sport.”
Ask Lauren Fleshman is a monthly series on Running On Om, where Lauren Fleshman, professional runner, coach, mother, business owner, and writer, answers listeners questions on all things that pop up when living an athletic life— motivation, injuries, relationship issues, nutrition, body image, you name it.
In this episode, Lauren answers listeners questions on the following topics:
- What is the role of innate, genetic potential in running?
- How do goal oriented athletes in relationship support one another emotionally during the highs and lows of their training and racing journeys?
- How do you decide what takes priority— pursuing your dream job in a city or living in place that has a connection to the outdoors?
- Why Lauren loves Bend, Oregon?
- Overcoming hypothalamic amenorrhea through nutrition and how professional runners handle intense training without losing their fertility
- How the growth of online running coverage sites creates unrealistic expectations for younger athletes
- And how do you deal with the disappointment that comes with injury and not allow it to determine your self-worth?
Podcast Sponsored by Jaybird & NeoCart:
- Jaybird Reign and X2 Discount for ROO Listeners:
- NeoCart Clinical Trial for Chronic Knee Pain:
- NeoCart is an investigational cartilage tissue implant grown from a patient’s own cells for those who face chronic knee pain or a knee injury. The NeoCart procedure uses regenerative medicine technology that could provide an alternative to the standard-of-care microfracture surgery that if you have struggled with knee pain, you may have already been presented with. The NeoCart Clinical Trial is for athletes, yogis, ANYONE between the ages of 18 and 59, who suffers from pain in one knee. To find out more text knee17 to 87888 or call (844) 238-KNEE/5633. If you want to learn more about the NeoCart Clinical Trial, visit neocartimplant.com. (Caution: New Biologic. Limited by Federal law to investigational use only and is not available for sale).
- Lauren’s Past ROO Episodes: ROO #179, #171, & #149
- Lauren’s Ask Lauren Fleshman Website
- Lauren’s Twitter: @laurenfleshman
- Lauren’s Instagram: @fleshmanflyer
- Lauren’s Facebook
- Dr. Clyde Wilson’s Website
How to Listen to ROO?